Earlier this year there were several stories in the press about dogs being poisoned after eating palm oil that had washed onto the shores around the south coast of England.
Today there were several lumps of something similar on Penrhos Beach.
All kinds of fats and waxes wash up on the beach, including things that look like the more common descriptions and pictures of rancid palm oil (a little like dense polystyrene, or expanded foam).
The fat on the beach today was a little unusual. It was quite light in weight with a soft texture. It smelt like very cheap, used cooking fat: not very nice to a human nose. However, dogs being dogs, they apparently like to gobble up this fatty gloop and it can make them very ill.
So, if you’ll be walking your dog on the beach you might want to watch out for these lumps of creamy coloured fat, just in case.