The small car park at Pen Lon features this sculpture representing stooks or sheaves of marram grass (Ammophila arenaria).
Marram grass is particularly important in Newborough’s history: it was a major source of income from mat, basket and rope making; and it protected the village from being buried by the vast dunes.
In 1331, sand from the dunes was blown over the village (or more properly borough) of Newborough, burying fields and houses. In the 16th Century, planting of marram grass was ordered by the government of Elizabeth 1st to try and stabilise the dunes and halt any further advance of them. Uprooting of the grass became a punishable offence.
At this car park, there is a small lake (Llyn Rhos Ddu) with an easily accessible (including for wheelchairs) bird hide. The car park also allows access to the beach by following along the edge of the forest (approx 1.5 miles) – it can be quite a trudge, sometimes wet and muddy in the slacks, but it is worth it. The path is very clear, but not suitable for wheelchairs, pushchairs, etc.
The car park is accessed from the village by turning right at the roundabout at the bottom of the hill (on the way to Dwyran), or from Dwyran going straight over the roundabout.
See Google map